Has your doctor discussed your child's BMI with you? Do you know your child's BMI? Learning your child's BMI is a front line strategy for preventing obesity. BMI screening along with counseling can help you begin making healthy lifestyle choices for your child earlier. Here are the top five reasons why you should know your child's BMI:
- As with any chronic disease - the earlier the better. Early diagnosis makes for better prognosis.
- Children are aware of their weight as early as age five, especially girls.
- BMI is not a diagnosis. BMI is a monitoring tool that lets you know if your child is in a healthy range.
- BMI measuring at every well visit is standard of care recommended by the AMA and AAP.
- BMI measuring when done correctly is more accurate than growth charts.